Monday 11 June 2012

Sunday 10 June 2012

Manchester to Tatton - relax - and then return (fast)

I have not done any cycling since I returned from Bridlington last Monday. That is because I lost my mojo because of the weather during the coast to coast (WOTR) ride. Last Sunday's ride really took its toll on me. It took me days to feel warm through my body again. It took me that time to want to ride again. I was badly affected by my experience.

I had packed my bike into my car to take it to work on Wednesday and cycle home, but at around 4pm, the heavens opened and I decided to drive home. It wasn't a hard decision. I simply looked out of the window and said...'car'. I could not face the thought of cycling in the wind and rain again. That combined with a message from my friend Jo to say that she had got soaked through on her short ride into work from the train station. Decision made. The right one.

I had placed an order for new bike kit - waterproof jacket, trousers and gloves. £££.. It's the only way I can even begin to contemplate another weekend crossing the country..... - and that will be me again, next weekend, when I set out from Whitehaven in Cumbria en route for the East coast...I can't say that I am hugely enthusiastic about it, yet....I hope that a good day today and some more good weather miles before next weekend will sort me out. I remain fully committed to the challenge that is LEJOG and I will make it. But my baggage allowance may well be exceeded because I intend to take every possible combination of cycling clothing and kit I own. I was naive to think that in June it wouldn't be freezing cold, hailing, windy and wet. July, I had concluded, gave no certainty to me and I woul dnot be making the same mistake again.

So, today was my first spin out for 6 days. I had taken the opportunity to have a new, shiny cassette £££ fitted and new brake cables £££ on Friday. I had also given my baby a lovely polish on Saturday and she was looking good all over again. I had also decided that my red accessories were to be turned to black ones for LEJOG - I wanted to return my bike to its newborn state and lose the 'pimped' look I had bestowed on her. So I changed the saddle for a black one I had on my tricross bike. I changed one of the water bottle cages to black (from red) - I ride with 2 bottles on my Giant road bike but only had one black cage on my tricross. Shopping list, black bottle cage. £££V I don't have a pedal sized allen key and need to borrow one so my red Look pedals will stay on for now. Before LEJOG they will be replaced for black. The transformation was half completed.....

I was a little hoarse on Sunday morning after an incredible evening at Coldplay at Man City's Etihad ground. It was an amazing show. My night out came to an end at around 4am.

At lunchtime I set off out towards Tatton Park riding with Niki. It was surprisingly warm. In fact, it was really hot on the bike. I stretched my legs. I tested the cassette. I need lube on it. Shopping list, lube. I had an annoying rattle but couldn't work out where it was coming from. I eventually diagnosed it as a loose quick release skewer - the part you open up - nothing that could be tightened and something I need to replace. Annoying.

The weather stayed dry. The pace was good. At one of the meres in Tatton park we rested for an hour. It was beautiful. It was peaceful. That was until a husky newly wet from the mere thought he would come over and make friends. I don't bond well with dogs. I like them. But I have always been ill at ease with them. But the owner shouted that he was only a puppy.....he was only one....he was soft. Well, his face was big, it was in my face and he was dripping wet. He was cute....from a distance. But not when I had to pull away even to focus on him (i wear contact lenses)

Time for home and a dash - plety of sprinting intervals. It was still hot.

28.5 miles at an average 15.4mph. Pleased. Glowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment