Tuesday 5 June 2012

Monday 4 June 2012

Day 3 WOTR

York to Bridlington

Start 0936
Time spent riding 4h 50
Mileage 63.07m
Climbing 2333ft
Average speed 13mph
Max speed 30.4mph
Temp 56.7F

I awoke at 7 and threw back the curtains to a bright blue sky and full sun. Thank you!

Breakfast buffet in the convent was great.

It was a cold day and I was taking any chances after yesterday. So I piled on the layers and after some bike cleaning and lubing, we were off. I put my wet gloves on from yesterday but I had no choice - YUK.

We went into York for a photo by the Minster. And then it started raining. We sheltered in the Minster for 5 minutes or so and then we went for it.

It was one of those days where the girls were on and off with waterproofs, layers, arms, legs, sun cream etc. If I was cycling with the FAFFERS (more on this in 2 weeks time when I embark on my second coast to coast effort), today would have never ended! I didn't remove anything other than my windproof arms all day -  my layers were staying firmly on. I had on my vest, cycling top, merino arms, thermal mid layer, windproof jacket, buff, shorts, legs, socks, beautiful shoes and neoprene overshoes. (I hadn't seen my shoes for 2 days!)


Beautiful Yorkshire view
We stopped for coffee in Millington, a lovely spot. The sun was out and we sat outside. We watched some stunning vintage cars go by. A lovely day for it.

Then on to Driffield for lunch. On the way, we were cycling along a long, straight road and Liz wanted a sprint. She took a jump on us and was gone, off into the distance. I took chase. Heather would normally go too but I couldn't look round - I was off - but my legs were screaming, NO. I tried but couldn't catch her - then Heather overtook me too. It was good fun to stretch out after the miles we had already done. There was no need to save any reserves now because we knew we were going to get there.

There were no cafes open in Driffield so we sat on a bench near Tesco and had a meal deal. Sue got the giggles and that lasted for most of the rest of the afternoon.

And then we pushed on - only 17 miles to go. We cycled together in a pack of 8 for some good distance. Sue decided she wanted a photo so we posed. Then she declared that we had 12 minutes until the minibus left from Morrisons in Bridlington. ......we weren't yet in Bridlington. And we didn't know where Morrisons was. So off we went. Heather, Carol and I out front, sprinting into the town centre, to the front, for the 'I've done it' photo by the WOTR sign. The rest of the group arrived - it was a real shame not to cycle into Bridlington together but that was the choice we made when faced with missing the minibus home.


Carol, me and Heather at the end

Actually there was time for chips and coffee before loading the bikes on to 'Mr DIYs' trailer - a slight adaptation of Saturday's trailer but still as ridiculously home made. I did a quick head count on the bus and reached 7 more than once - we set out with 8. Who was missing? It was Carol and at that moment I spotted 2 legs hanging out from the underside of the minibus - her top half was completely under the bus......retrieving her bottle of water!

Once Carol was on board we then set off back to Manchester.

I arrived home at 2230 after a long day. Shower. Few communications and bed.

What a fantastic trip. I am physically tired which is a lovely place to be. I have a sedentary job which is mentally stimulating. Being physically tired is very special.

Great experience over the last 3 days. Great fun. Lots of lessons learned. Most definitely GLOWING

No comments:

Post a Comment