Tuesday 5 June 2012


Saturday 2 June 2012

Way of The Roses – Morecambe to Bridlington
Day 1 – Transport Manchester to Morecambe and ride Morecambe to Malham

Start 1240
Time spent riding 3h 24
Mileage 40.49m
Climbing 4085 ft
Average speed 11.9mph
Max speed 43.1mph
Temp 57.1F

Introducing Sue, Helen, Liz, Jo, Julie, Heather, Carol and me.


Arrived at Sue’s in Chorlton for a 9am departure by minibus to Morecambe – trailer for the bikes. Sue made a tremendous coffee – she is known for that. The driver tried to load the bikes on to his makeshift bike carrying system – the racks were the temporary storage type – they aren’t designed for transportation – they were attached to a bit of wood with cable ties. It was all very amateur. Heather stepped in to try and do what she could – she loaded the bikes as efficiently and effectively as possible when there were 6 spaces for 8 bikes. One bike ended up in the mini bus.

Then we were off. Laughs a plenty on the bus. I passed round my disco bling slippers aka my new cycling shoes.

We arrived in Morecambe slightly behind schedule for a 1030am departure on bikes. BUT…..Liz had a buckled rear wheel which needed truing before we set off on the 170 mile trek. The first bike shop the driver took her to wasn’t able to help so that she was then driven to Lancaster – where we had driven through to arrive into Morecambe.  The rest of us went to the Station pub for coffee.  

Helen offered around her tub of chamois cream with some detailed guidance for application which was, simply, hilarious.

At 1230 Liz returned with a better but not fully repaired wheel – and by 1240 we were off after the customary photograph by the Way of the Roses marker point. Only 170 miles to go. From red rose of Lancashire to the white rose of Yorkshire.



Sue, where did you pop up from?
The start of the WOTE ride.

What a stunning day. It was warm and dry. Patches of bright sunshine. And what a lovely route alongside the Lune. Great company too. We were all in good spirits setting out, excited by what the next 3 days had in store.

Our first coffee stop


The Girls at play - faster, faster

We stopped at Wray for lunch – sausage and egg on a barm for me. And another coffee.  Carol dropped a piece of paper which I alerted her to – and it turned out to be details of a local tattoo parlour….erm?!!

Then off again. Along to Clapham. To Settle. To the hills. To the climbing. Wow – out of Settle the wind really got up and the steep climb was painful. The wind was directly into our faces. It was hard. It was slow.  Unfortunately and very frustratingly I didn’t make it. I will blame the guy who overtook me in full SKY cycling gear – he looked the part but then he grinded to a halt. ….  I walked a bit. I then got back on and made it to the top.

At the top of the climb it was exceptionally windy. The flat, winding section over the tops was a hard ride. Then we had a fast descent into Malham and to the youth hostel.  It was getting late and was cold. All traces of the sun had long gone. It was approaching 6.15pm and dinner in the Buck Inn was at 7. We rushed through the showers, changed and were out for dinner on time. I had had my protein recovery drink first.

A lovely fish pie with peas and carrots for me and a couple of local beers in the pub. Tasty

Malham had a special jubilee celebration going on – like most of the UK – and had animals all over the village made out of a variety of paper/card etc – very amusing – I loved the sunglasses clad dolphins the best in the river in the middle of the village.

By 830pm I was flagging and returned to the youth hostel. No internet. No phone reception. My blog could only be created in word for now – and my first draft was lost!!

There are two groups from Team Glow completing the WOTR on this double bank holiday weekend and are following tomorrow from Morecambe to Malham. They seem to have had the same transport arrangements so that I hope their bikes all arrived safely.

I was sleeping in a dorm of 6 – bottom bunk for me – lights started going out on the individual beds at 930pm. I was not far behind.

Apart from the nutrition detailed above I started today with coffee, orange juice and 2 weetabix (slightly warmed). An 800 ml carb drink on the bike and a lucozade. A cereal bar. Some ginger cake. And some extra water and ice.

A good day in the end. Such a shame about Liz’s bike and the delayed start. But we are all in recovery now and at rest.

Significantly dismembered wildlife on the road en route – 1 of note which caused a reaction in me!

Cyclists setting off and at various points on day 1 of WOTR – loads

Ginger teepees – 1

Sprint stages – 3 (ouch!)

Glowing


No comments:

Post a Comment