Monday 11 June 2012

Monday 11 June 2012

Speke to Manchester

I had enjoyed my ride yesterday and decided to take my bike into work and ride home. The weather was overcast but dry. I fuelled and rehydrated during the day committed to ride home. I felt tired today but I wanted to ride.

Shortly after 5pm I changed and left work. I made good time through Widnes and on the road out towards Warrington. But then from nowhere, my eyes started to go cloudy and I could see stars. It was gusting winds and my bike was blown. I stopped. I took on an energy gel and some carb drink. I felt good again when I set off after my few minutes break.

Onwards.

Then as I was up to 22mph on a smooth, long, straight road before Warrington, a van came along a minor road to me left hand side. I had a good view of him. He looked as if he had not noticed the T junction he was heading for. He saw me at the last minute. I was committed and he wasn't stopping. I swerved out to my right. He slammed his brakes on and he skidded. It was slow motion. I could see smoke coming off his front tyres. But he wasn't stopping. I swerved further and was over on to the other side of the road. Thankfully, nothing was coming. The van still wasn't stopping and I had to swerve again with my rear wheel to avoid being hit by the nearside of the van who was turning right at the junction.

Wow. That was close. I was close to tears. I pedalled on slowly and gradually picked up speed. I won't dwell on the incident because these things happen on the road. I was soon back in my zone and pushing on.

I then started with a dull headache, and cramping in my abdomen. And then a numb left foot. And then a sharp pain in my right knee. And neck pain as I turned to look over my right shoulder to check the traffic behind me. Oh dear, it was all going wrong. Such diversity of symptoms wasn't easy to deal with. My head started going. It was suddenly cold. And then a few spots of rain. Could I keep going? I did for a while at least.

I got to 27 miles before I got the train home from Glazebrook to Manchester Deansgate. And then a sprint home.

A shame. But in only a few weeks time I will not have the choice to stop and take the train. The reality is that I will have that choice of course. But unless I am ill or injured in a really serious way I have absolutely no intention of giving in. I dont want to commit another 2 week 'holiday' to LEJOG because there are so many other adventures I want to enjoy in the future - so 2012 is the year to complete the LEJOG challenge. But that means that on days such as today I can make a decision to get on the train. And that is what I did.

Glad to be home and once in I had chocolate protein shake with milk. And pasta. And then I started washing and packing for my coast to coast in 3 days time. I have very little time this week because of work and social commitments. And we leave Manchester straight after work on Thursday bound for Whitehaven to cycle Friday, Saturday and Sunday. No more miles for me on the bike until Friday now.

No comments:

Post a Comment