Thursday 24 May 2012

Saturday 12 May 2012 - Phase 1

Manchester to Speke
Start 09.51
Time Spent riding 2h 42
Mileage 38.97
Climbing 1214ft
Average Speed 11.7mph
Max speed 38.5mph

Overcast. Strong headwind as I set off due West to Speke. Why Speke? Why not! I started a new job in April and had the idea when I awoke this morning that it may be feasible to ride home from work, on occasions. With no firm plan for the day, I decided to ride to my office with the intention of finding a suitable route home and time it. The Garmin told me my office was 26 miles - that seemed odd to me because I had been driving further than that each day to work. Anyway, it was a dry day so I set off. Almost 39 miles later I arrived at my office, windswept and hungry. I enjoyed a scenic lunch by the car vac/air dispenser at Morrisons petrol station whilst I weighed up my options. I wasn't far from Liverpool South Parkway train station but getting a train back to Manchester did defeat the object of my trip.


Saturday 12 May 2012 - Phase 2

Speke to Manchester
Start 13.02
Time Spent Riding 2h 28m
Mileage 38.46
Climbing 1070 ft
Average Speed 15.6 mph
Max speed 25.9 mph

I hopped on my steed and off we went. East. Manchester bound. Wow - the bonus of a tailwind - or was I just strong?!! The sun had come out and the route was, in parts, stunning. It is true to say that in parts the route was heavily industrial. But variety is good. Especially when you realise that your back, shoulders and neck are getting really very painful. Why was that? I don't normally experience such woes because my bike fits me - or rather I fit  my bike. I realised that my bike saddle wasn't quite in the right place having loaned it to a TeamGlow girl who is rather shorter than me.  I thought I had adequately adjusted it back to my comfort setting - but she must be rather much shorter than I had accounted for. Or, more accurately, her geometry was more different than I had realised. I was tiring. I should have stopped and adjusted the saddle. Lesson learned. By the time I was home I was in a lot of pain and had to lie out on the floor in my lounge whlst my back reshaped itself.  But the day was a success and I had my route home from work in the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment